Six ways your business can have a more energy efficient building
One expense every business manager needs to take into consideration is energy. Many businesses use systems that consume a lot of energy, which can cost a lot over time. Fortunately, there are methods that can make a business’s building more energy efficient.
Six tips for having a more energy efficient building
Cutting back on energy consumption can save a business a lot of money in the long run. Small and large businesses alike can benefit from reducing energy consumption rates. Here are six ways you can make your business more energy efficient:
- Turn off unused lights and equipment — A simple, yet impactful method for reducing your building’s energy consumption is to make sure unused lights and equipment are turned off. Yet, overlooking this is one of the primary reasons businesses have a high rate of wasted energy. Talk to your team and instruct everyone on when to make sure equipment and lighting needs to be turned off to make your building more energy efficient.
- Use energy efficient lighting systems — If your business still uses incandescent light bulbs in lighting fixtures, you should replace them with more energy-efficient bulbs. LEDs and fluorescents are two alternatives that consume much less energy and last several thousand hours longer than incandescent bulbs. Switching to these kinds of bulbs saves a lot of energy over time.
- Use ENERGY STAR® equipment — Equipment that is ENERGY STAR certified is recognized by the U.S. government as energy efficient. Use this equipment in your businesses wherever applicable to minimize energy consumption rates.
- Clean and maintain your HVAC — Dirty and malfunctioning components in your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) force the HVAC system to work harder, which makes it consume more energy. Regularly cleaning and inspecting your HVAC for malfunctions can keep your energy consumption rates low.
- Schedule an energy analysis — Bring in an energy professional to analyze every energy consuming aspect of your commercial facilities. An energy professional can determine which areas are consuming more energy than necessary and develop solutions to optimize their performance.
- Install an energy management system (EMS) — An EMS brings all of your energy consuming systems under control of a centralized system. You can use an EMS to monitor the performance of your facility over time to see where most of the energy is being consumed. You can use this information to make adjustments over time to eliminate wasted energy.
Contact Energy Optimization for energy optimization services
If you manage a business and would like your commercial facilities to be more energy efficient, our team at Energy Optimization can help. We are experienced in working with a variety of industries to perform energy analyses, install EMS and implement other energy optimization solutions. Contact us today to talk to one of our team members about improving the energy efficiency of your business.